Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Cooking up a Storm : Muesli Rusk Recipes

My husband is one of those men who forgets everything and everyone around him once he gets busy with his work.  He even forgets to eat breakfast but I have finally worked out the solution - RUSKS!  Coffee and a bowl of rusks placed strategically on the desk in the morning will guarantee that he will have eat something in the morning. If I didn't cook for him and remind him to eat, he wouldn't.  How is it possible to forget to eat? I love cooking.  I love eating - oh that food should cease to exist - forget spicey curries, melt in your mouth chocolates, freshly baked scones with jam and cream ... ok so now I am getting seriously sidetracked.(Note to self: investigate phenomenon and determine whether possible to duplicate).

This recipe comes from Annette Human's cookbook. 

 Here's the What
700g muesli
700g butter/margerine
500g sugar
750ml buttermilk
4 eggs
1,5kg self-raising flower
40g baking powder
7ml salt
[Just a couple of notes on the ingredients 
*I find muesli pretty expensive unless you make your own.  A really yummy alternative is to use granola instead. 
*  Also we never have self raising flour in our house, I always make my own using regular flour and adding 2 tsp of baking powder to every cup of regular flour.  Just don't forget to put the baking powder that is in the recipe (which has happened to me loads of times). 
*  For locals I don't use buttermilk but use 'maas' instead.  Again its a lot cheaper and tastes great!]

Here's the How

Heat the butter/margerine and sugar until melted. Remove from the stove. Beat together the buttermilk and eggs and stir the buttermilk mixture into the sugar mix.

Sift together the self-raising flour, the baking powder and salt. Add the muesli and mix. Add this to the sugar mixture and combine well.

Spoon the dough into greased containers. Bake the rusk loaves for about 30 minutes at 180 degrees celsius and then for about 40 minutes at 160 degrees celsius until golden brown and done.


Leave to cool in the tins for a few minutes, then turn them out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Cut each loaf into rusk-sized portions. Dry out overnight in a cool oven with the oven door slightly ajar.




Make sure you have lots of storage space because it makes about 10 doz rusks. 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Mel

    Thanks for the recipe! I have just saved it as "Mel's Marvellous Muesli Rusks" in my recipe folder and will try it out next time the munchies strike (which won't be long, I'm sure!). God bless Kim from Zini

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that Kim, I had such a laugh at the title, congrats on the new addition to the family. I have been looking at the photos and of course when Derek and Karen were here and I know they were just so excited. Hope everyone is well at home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recipe. My granny use to spoil us rotten with these little treats. I should have paid much more attention as a kid when she did bake them. Sadly she is no longer with us and I am living in the US and dying for some good rusks. I just have one question what size baking dish did you use for the rusks - Thanks :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a wonderful breakfast. I never want anything too sweet or too greasy in the morning - these look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are simply divine, they are chunky and filling and last forever! (if you hide them from your children)

    ReplyDelete
  6. yum! http://www.ordinaryinspirations.blogspot.com/2012/02/my-favorite-valentines-day-ideas.html

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, leave a comment! I would love to hear from you!