Friday, September 9, 2011

8 Things I love about the Rugby World Cup

With Rugby World Cup Fever in the air, how could you NOT get excited?  It seems that everyone is talking about Rugby, connecting their DSTV, putting up the match schedule next to the TV and preparing to hibernate for the next 6 weeks.  Or is that just us?

So I was reading the front page of the Cape Times this morning and super excited that there was a match schedule in there.  The thrill for me being, that I would actually know what match is being played and who is playing.  Up to this point, at the ripe ol' age of 38, my daddy phones me in the morning of the days that South Africa plays - otherwise I would miss the whole event.  Pathetic I know but honestly I have a whole bunch of other things that I need to remember on a daily basis - like getting up for a start! I mean honestly if my alarm didn't go off every morning I think I would forget to get out of bed - though with 4 children begging for breakfast (yep they do that sometimes), I doubt they would let me forget for too long.

So here my top 8 things I love about the Rugby World Cup:

1.  I can scream and shout without anyone accusing me of bad behaviour or poor communication skills.  Gooooooooooooooo Booooookkkkkkeee!

2.  Even though I don't know all the rules, I can still get behind my team.  I mean, who cares why a group of men will huddle together, stick their hands between each others legs, and go cheek to cheek over a ball.  As long as they think its important!

3. Waiting for Pieter de Villiers to say something that will most likely get him into trouble with someone.  I have never known anyone to have such an interesting perspective on the game of rugby before.

4.  I know I shouldn't say this, but I love a good fight on the field.  With so much testosterone, it's bound to happen - though with Bakkies Botha going out with an injury, not sure we'll see too much action.  Hopefully someone else steps up to fill those rather large shoes.

5.  Our team! I love the Bokke.  The green and gold.  I love that I feel like I know them and that I can cheer them on, fight with them, criticise them and just give them a good tongue lashing - all from the comfort of my couch.  After all I am the expert!

6. It gets personal.  Friends become enemies because they originate from a different nation and they dare to shout for another team. Facebook becomes a minefield of offense.  Who needs friends anyway?

7.  Having friends over and and having a braai.  I mean a barbeque sounds so frivilous doesn't it in comparison to a "braai"!!!  "Braaivleis" and "boerewors" - proudly South African!

8.  Victor Matfield at a line out, Morne Steyn at the poles, Bryan Habana on a try line, Schalk Burger in a tackle, Tendai Mtawarira as he gathers support as people shout "Beeeeaaaaaasssssttttt" - so many reasons to love these guys.

So there you have it.  I love this game.  I love the vibe.  I love the Rugby World Cup and I am so looking forward to this one and us coming home with the trophy.  So why not comment and tell me what you love about the Rugby World Cup?
 
*  Disclaimer: if any information, terminology or reference to the game is incorrect - what can I say?  I am no rugby expert just a loyal supporter in love with the game!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead, leave a comment! I would love to hear from you!