Friday, October 14, 2011

A Tribute to Special Moms: Poems for Mothers

I have been very nostalgic about my mom recently.  I have been reminded of how even at the age of 38 (in two days 39), I still have a mother who takes care of me.  Yep, I thought I would outgrow her, after all I am a mother now - so surely that would be my role?  But it doesn't work like that - that umbilical cord may have been cut, there is still an invisible one that exists.  

My mother is a one of a kind because:
*  she put up with me in my teen years (like if you like did what I did, I would like toss your butt out my like door:)
*  she always seems to know when something is wrong without me saying a word - I'll get this call and she'll say something like "Hi is everything OK?  I have been thinking about you"  ..... oh boy, then I really blubber.
*  she thinks about me when I don't think about her
*  often her giving is as a sacrifice to something she would like
*  when I was involved in a wrong relationship while living in Egypt in my wild days, she flew across the world to "save me from myself"
*  my mom loves my children passionately and spoils them in a way that only a granny is allowed to and get away with it
*  she encourages me to be a better person, to expect more and to live more
*  she makes me laugh at myself and at life
*  she drives me crazy

So as a tribute to all mothers for an unofficial mother's day in my books - a mother's day for 2011 in October (who would have thought?)- I have collected a few poems for mothers, for you to enjoy or possibly even send to your mother today.  It could be your biological mother, your godmother, your step mother, your spiritual mother, yes even your mother-in-law - they deserve a tribute for their sacrifice, their love and their support.

 In God's Image by Carolyn "Banker" Harris

God made mothers in his image,
He molded every part,
He gave a little extra
When he made a mother's heart.

He knew when he made mothers
to give an extra share
of love and understanding,
and a heart that really cares

He gave them a special smile
as if kissed by the golden sun,
He put a twinkle in their eye,
and then He said well done.

But when He made you mother
You were the greatest one by far
and I wouldn't change a single thing
for you're perfect the way you are
 
 
FOR MY MOTHER ... FOREVER AND A DAY by Jill Lemming

God hand-picked you to be my mom;

(I knew this from the start)…
And no one else can ever fill
Your place inside my heart.

Many times I've failed to see

How much you've done for me...
or how you gave your very best
So sacrificially.

But Mom I need to tell you,

How very much I've grown…
I know you've place my needs above
Any needs you had alone.

You've been the greatest mother,

My teacher and my friend…
You've shown me what it means to give,
(And give and give again.)

I'm thankful for you, Mother,

Much more than I can say…
All my life, you'll be with me
And your love will guide my way.

Our souls are joined together

In a bond that will not stray…
You and me, our spirits free,
Forever and a day.

From FreeDigitalPhotos.Net


To my mother by Christina Rossetti
To-day’s your natal day,
Sweet flowers I bring;
Mother, accept, I pray,
My offering.

And may you happy live,
And long us bless;
Receiving as you give
Great happiness.
(1842) 

Photo by David Castillo Dominici



To my mother by Edgar Allan Poe
Because I feel that, in the Heavens above,
The angels, whispering to one another,
Can find, among their burning terms of love,
None so devotional as that of “Mother,”
Therefore by that dear name I long have called you—
You who are more than mother unto me,
And fill my heart of hearts, where Death installed you,
In setting my Virginia’s spirit free.
My mother—my own mother, who died early,
Was but the mother of myself; but you
Are mother to the one I loved so dearly,
And thus are dearer than the mother I knew
By that infinity with which my wife
Was dearer to my soul than its soul-life. 
(1849)
Photo by FreeDigitalPhotos.net

 The Best Mother by Anonymous

I said a little prayer for you
to thank the Lord above
for blessing me with a lifetime
of your tenderhearted love.

I thanked God for the caring
you've shown me through the years,
for the closeness we've enjoyed
in time of laughter and of tears.

And so, I thank you from the heart
for all you've done for me
and I bless the Lord for giving me
the best mother there could be! 

Photo by FreeDigitalPhotos.net
 
You Where There by Anonymous

You were there when we took our first steps,
And went unsteadily across the floor.
You pushed and prodded: encouraged and guided,
Until our steps took us out the door...

You worry now "Are they ok?"
Is there more you could have done?
As we walk the paths of our unknown
You wonder "Where have my children gone?"

Where we are is where you have led us,
With your special love you showed us a way,
To believe in ourselves and the decisions we make.
Taking on the challenge of life day-to-day.

And where we go you can be sure,
In spirit you shall never be alone.
For where you are is what matters most to us,
Because to us that will always be home...



Mother's Day by David Young
 —for my children 

I see her doing something simple, paying bills,
or leafing through a magazine or book,
and wish that I could say, and she could hear,

that now I start to understand her love
for all of us, the fullness of it.

It burns there in the past, beyond my reach,
a modest lamp.



I would love to hear about what makes your mother special to you.  
Why do you love her?
What special moments do you share with her regularly?
How has she impacted your life

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead, leave a comment! I would love to hear from you!